28 June 2011

Like living in a conservatory.

It is humid and hot. Sticky weather is what I call this; your skin sticks to everything! It is tropical but I still like it, I will never ever complain about hot weather. I bitch n whine about cold, not hot :)

My teeny weeny appartement has lots of windows, there is only one wall in my living room that doesn't have windows. When the weather is this nice I open all the windows and it is like I live in a conservatory. Sometimes people ask me if it doesn't bum me that I don't have a garden. Well first off all it's too much work a garden, second of all there is huge parc two blocks away and a small one two blocks the other way and the IJsselmeer is two blocks yet another way. Third and most important: I am a white person with red hair. Direct sunlight isn't a joy when you are fair skinned.. I tend to seek the cover of the shade... in my personal conservatory. So no, I don't need a garden, I have everything I need.

Today there was a great parcel in my mailbox, from Winterfi with a great book, some gorge yarn and two excellent pillow covers, I love winterfi!

One hour later:

The weather is shifting, from the waters edge a storm front is approaching. I'm sitting in the windowsill looking at the dark clouds approaching. My feet are dangling out like I'm on a boat. Lighting is coming, I can see the lights in the distance. The wind is pushing warm air in front of it, it is caressing my skin. It feels wonderful. The first big raindrops are starting to patter on the leafs and all the birds are hurrying for their coop. There is the first rumble.
Living next to a grand expense of water brings on this kinds of weather shifts in summer. I always relish the experience. Mother nature is flexing her muscles and shows that we are still puny humans. I can imagine that this would have been scary in past times living in a harbour town. Now I know my house is strong enough to stand against some pretty foul weather, I can sit here in my windowsill and watch the dark stormy clouds coming.

The patter is turning into real rain, better start closing the windows, bey now!

No comments:

Post a Comment