08 June 2011

The city... I live in... only as I am...

Famous lyrics but oh, so true. City dwellers love their city. At least I do...

I live in Hoorn, it is a small city about 30 min up north of Amsterdam. We have a gorge old harbour and a lot of old streets. I live near the old town hall, so lots and lots of old buildings. I took some photo's of the streets I pass every day, you know, the small stuff that imprints on you even if your passing is fleeting.

Like the hairdresser with the glorious wave of red roses cascading of the wall.



Or the magically colored trees that indicate the start of the city moat.



Or the small patch of wild flowers at the foot of the small tree that is growing at the beginning of our street.



Or the view on the rooftops as you enter the inner city from the moat side.


As you can see we have been having typical Dutch summer weather. Cloudy, but warm, but not too warm because of the sea breeze. Where you have to wear a jacket outside, but don't have to close it. I love the light it gives in these pictures, it is so typically Dutch. A lot of the old master of painting tried to capture this light and feel of our homeland.

No comments:

Post a Comment