20 July 2011

Reporting live from... the Dordogne!

Sorry I dropped of the radar for a bit but I had a couple of full days.

On monday I went to the Take That concert in the Arena! It was MEGA! Mega big hall, mega big robot that moves in the show, mega cool costumes and show elements, mega pretty and a really good ballerina.
Me and Maris had a really good time:



I stayed over at Maris because I had a train to catch at 6.16 at Amsterdam Central station. Which was a great decision because the train from Hoorn wasn't going that morning! Ack! But I took a cab from the station (transport #1) and then was pleasantly on time for the train. I travelled first class all the way, it was only ten euros more and very much worth it. The train from Amsterdam to Paris flew there (transport #2) and then I was at Gare du Nord. When breakfast was served on the train, I broke out in huge smile: I love to travel and I love going places, I felt good.
In Paris I had to transfer from Gare du Nord to Gare Montparnasse by metro (transport #3) which was also easy and fast. A friend of my moms gave me three metro tickets he had left, so I didn't have to buy one... nice! One small reminder to myself: don't keep the trolley bag in its long handle, bag got stuck between the doors of the metro. Luckily a nice man rescued me. There were a lot of nice people btw. When I was hauling my bag up steps most of the tim someone would grab the other handle. I kept on smiling like an idiot...

The TGV from Paris to Libourne (transport #4) was FAST!!! It got to 320 km an hour! I slept a chunck of that trip. And bought a way too big sandwich for lunch. I was seated between little old ladies who were chattering away in French. It was bliss.

Then the transfer I was dreading: I had only five minutes to get of the TGV and get on the train to Bergerac. A girl who was a train attendant saw me fidget and she told me the train would be on the other side of the platform! Aaaaah, bless her!

After those big and fast trains the small train to Bergerac (transport #5) felt like riding in a toy train. We rode trough the vineyards and the houses on top of the hills really looked like the Chateau's on labels of wine! Pretty torrets and windows with wooden shutters. I tried taking pictures but it wouldn't work.

While in the train someone from the campsite called me to let me know a boy would be at the station to pick me up. He drove like a french madmen but he got me there just the same and was really nice. Peter even offered me to drive me anywhere I wanted. For a small fee of course, but hey it is still a lot cheaper than the "real" cabs. So he was transport #6! I don't know how many kilometers I travelled yesterday but it wasn't bad.

I was really tired after arriving at the site, and I had a hard time finding everything in my tiny caravan. But in the end it was standing and the bed was made and the fridge was working and a nice man helped me put up the canopy roof. I ate fries and had an Orangina with it. A single father started chatting me up. He was laughing and making jokes and made me listen to his ipod. I was grinning like mad that even while I wasn't looking my best (travel does that to you) he still found me interesting enough to "invest" in me.

I walked around the campsite, which is way pretty. It lies in the woods and some clearings have been made to camp on. To walk from field to field means you walk trough woods, cross streams with wooden tiny bridges and climb little mountain tracks. My caravan is in the truffel woods. It smells like wood and I have a huge oak tree who stands guard over my little spot of heaven.

1 comment:

  1. this sounds amazing! I hope you take lots of pictures,

    karinalane (from ravelry)

    ReplyDelete